Sunday, April 16, 2006

Easter Morning

The sun came up a little while ago. I'm pretty tired, and I would fall asleep in a second if I were to lie down. After being on the computer all night long, plus 4 hours yesterday [Saturday] afternoon, I think I have finally found it ... my new digital camera!!! I've been planning to get one for a couple years, to replace my ancient dinosaur camera (Sony Mavica, 1.2 MegaPixel, Floppy Disk!) which is biting the dust. My father was going to get me my new one in December as my Christmas present, but I needed time to decide on just the perfect one. Through the past 18 hours, finally I did it!!! Yay!!! Unfortunately, today is both Sunday and Easter, so if I placed the order I doubt I would get it by Tuesday afternoon before I leave for New Orleans Wednesday morning. I don't want to take the risk anyway. So hopefully I can get it sent to a house in New Orleans so it will get there when I do, or slightly after. Oh my god, it was hours and hours of agony, reading and reading and comparing and wondering and thinking. Yesterday I had to give up after 4 hours because my eyes hurt so bad. But I was able to make it through the whole night somehow to complete the research. And I'm so glad it's over with; this camera has been a long time coming, and I finally have an informed, solid, and exciting decision.

I was swaying steadily toward Canon for many hours, but near the end a remarkable soul emerged from the crowd. The Nikon Coolpix S4: 6.2 MegaPixel ... 10x optical zoom (38-380mm) ... 270-degree rotating lens ... 2.5" LCD ... 7.2 oz. ... 2.7"x4.4"x1.46" ... 2 rechargeable NiMH batteries ... all for under $300.

The Canon Powershot A700 came in second place. But the rotating lens and mega-zoom of the Nikon were the defining factors.

***
It's been a long time, and the days are passing so very quickly. So many wonderful things continue to happen, and the coming of the spring is one of the very loveliest things in the world. I wish I could have written every day. But the stress and melancholy of all this dumb schoolwork is quite a burden to bear. At least this update is better than nothing. School's really getting to me again. These next 3 days may be pretty rough, with all the things that must get done by the time I get on the Greyhound at 5:40 a.m. Wednesday morning. But, just breathe. It's all gonna work out perfectly, somehow. And when I get on that bus it will be the biggest sigh of relief. I'll be able to go to sleep then, as much as I can in those stiff seats, but I'll also be brimming with excitement. To think that I'll be in New Orleans at 4 p.m. that day. The thought is almost too vibrant to bear.

But for right now it's the same dilemma ... sun is up, day is lovely, there's a ton of work to get going on, but now I'll be ready for bed soon. I really can't keep my eyes open for more than another hour or two. And my sleep is really essential these days anyway, so I must succumb once again, and miss most of the day, I guess. There go my plans for checking out the Easter service at the Catholic church, and for sitting in the sun in my lawnchair all day doing geology worksheets. Hopefully I'll be able to get up again by 2 so I don't miss the last performance of Godspell. I'd be really sad if I missed that.

But soon, oh so soon, I will be free from the bondage of school, all this nonsense work and stress. It is darkest before this dawn, but the glorious freedom of living is on the very verge of rising!


The unaccounted-for recent days (April 6-15)...

the ice left the lake



leaves


Beehive Collective

No comments:

Post a Comment