Friday, March 31, 2006

Concert: Magdalen Hsu-Li

I went to the second half of the concert in the Alvord this evening of Magdalen Hsu-Li. I enjoyed it very much, and should have made it to the first half instead of sitting in front of my computer relishing in the splendor of this, my new website. Watching her play the piano made me want to really be able to play the piano one day very much. And her drummer was amazingly talented! I'm sure glad I went to the concert rather than checking out the "Senior Party" at The Spot bar.

The Northland kids loved her and she had to do 2 encores. She sang and talked about social change & activism/GLBT/race/politics from the Left. One of her songs was called "Fuck Bush." Overall a splendid performance.

I liked it when she talked about the song "Fire," the last one she did, on the piano, saying how fire was the Chinese symbol for building relationships and community, growth, and healing. I've recently felt the importance of Sagittarius being a fire sign. Thus my growing interest in phoenixes over the past 1 1/2 years. And it was very interesting when Amy and I were talking about the Revolution the other night, and the Apocalypse, and she said how sources indicate the next world cleansing will be one of fire, rather than water, as was the Flood. I can see that. You know I prefer the heat.

This bio is from Magdalen's website: http://www.magdalenhsuli.com/master_frameset.htm

Magdalen Hsu-Li is an internationally-acclaimed singer-songwriter, painter, and cultural activist who is redefining the female musician and smashing the ceiling in the American music industry. She has been called a “…one woman dynamo of talent”, her music described as “…exquisitely furious, beautiful, & exciting” by Performing Songwriter, “…sweet, melodic, & real" by the New York Tmes, “…an achingly gorgeous collection of piano-based rock recalling the finest moments of Tori amos or Ben Folds Five” by Yolk magazine and “…a sumptuous feast for the ears” by Curve magazine. “A” magazine says “her blend of hard-grounded folk and sweet siren lyrics makes an enduring impression upon the American music scene…her distinguishing factor is her cool, edgy sound and courage to be sensitive, tender, and feminine. As she carves her identity as an artist in an industry where Asian women are not thought of as musical powerhouses or innovators - Magdalen is a rare force with which to reckon."

There is also good stuff on her website on her Journal page, where there is a copy of the speech she gave at Tulane University in New Orleans on the day the school reopened in January. She said it all, about NOLA and Katrina, very well. Check it out!!

No comments:

Post a Comment